What Skincare Ingredients to Look For and What to Avoid
As you may have heard, the skin is our largest organ. And just like any other organ in our body, it needs to be taken care of if we want it to function at its best. But with all the skincare products on the market these days, it can be hard to know which ingredients to look for and which ones to avoid.
In this blog post, we'll break down some of the most important skincare ingredients to look for and those you should avoid.
Ingredients to look for:
- Vitamin C – This is an important antioxidant that helps to protect the skin from free radicals and environmental damage. It can also help to brighten and even out skin tone.
- Hyaluronic Acid – This ingredient is a powerful humectant that helps to attract and retain moisture, which can help to plump up the skin and give it a more youthful appearance.
- Retinoids – This family of ingredients includes Retinol, which is a form of Vitamin A that helps to improve the appearance of wrinkles, skin tone, and texture.
- Peptides – These are small proteins that can help to promote collagen production, which can help to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Niacinamide – This ingredient is a form of Vitamin B3 that can help to improve the appearance of skin tone, texture, and hyperpigmentation.
- Argan oil – This oil is rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamin E, all of which can help to nourish and protect the skin.
Ingredients to avoid:
- Parabens – These are preservatives that have been linked to health concerns such as cancer and reproductive toxicity.
- Phthalates – These chemicals are used to make products more flexible and fragrant, but they have been linked to a number of health concerns as well, including reproductive toxicity and endocrine disruption.
- Sulphates – These are detergents and surfactants that can be harsh on the skin and can cause irritation.
- Fragrances – Many fragrances are made with synthetic ingredients that can be irritating to the skin. It’s best to look for products that list their ingredients instead of relying on a “fragrance-free” label.
- Formaldehyde – This ingredient is a known carcinogen. It can be found in many skincare products, including nail polish, hair products, and eyelash glue.
- Oxybenzone – This ingredient is a sunscreen agent that has been linked to a number of health concerns, including skin irritation, hormone disruption, and cell damage.
When shopping for skincare products and ingredients to create a product, it’s important to be aware of the ingredients that are in them. By looking for products that contain these beneficial ingredients, you can help to improve the health and appearance of your skin. And by avoiding products that contain harmful ingredients, you can help to keep your skin healthy and safe.
We hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’d be happy to help!